A partner in ShapiroCroland Bankruptcy and Commercial Litigation departments, John has represented debtors, creditors, trustees, landlords and other parties-in-interest in bankruptcy courts in New Jersey, New York, Delaware, Florida and California. He has also been appointed a receiver and been designated as an assignee for the benefit of creditors in state court proceedings. In addition, John has litigated a variety of debtor/creditor and commercial law issues in federal and state courts. John’s varied litigation experience includes bankruptcy, insurance, construction, suretyship, real estate and Uniform Commercial Code matters.
A cum laude graduate of Brooklyn College of the City of New York and St. John’s University School of Law, John is admitted to practice before both the federal and state courts of New Jersey and New York. John has also served as a master in the Bankruptcy Inns of Court and lectured on bankruptcy law. In addition, he has mediated commercial litigation matters in state court.
J.D., St. John’s University School of Law (1983)
B.S., cum laude, Brooklyn College (1980)
Bankruptcy and business litigation involving debtors’ and creditors’ rights, partnership and corporate litigation, business torts and various contract disputes.
State of New Jersey
State of New York
United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
United States Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- Serving as court-appointed statutory receiver of failed mortgage banking company, secured over $4 million in assets for creditors, including $1 million settlement in accounting malpractice action and $950,000 settlement in action brought against company’s limited partner
- Represented Creditors Committee in Physicians Computer Network, Inc. bankruptcy, where creditors received 100% distribution.
- Secured $1.7 million settlement in Velocita, Inc. bankruptcy for surety company on account of its mechanics’ liens
Articles & Publications
Co-Author, Protection of Limited Liability Company Interests From Judgment Creditors, New Jersey Law Journal, May 7, 2015
- Baymont Franchise Systems, Inc. v. D & T Hotels, LLC, 2013 U.S. Dist. Lexis 172331 (D.N.J. 2013)
- U.S. Gypum Co. v. Pfizer, Inc. (In re G-I Holdings, Inc.), 2013 U.S. Dist. Lexis 90183 (D.N.J. 2013), vacated and remanded 755 F. 3d 195 (3d Cir. 2014)
- In re Vizstara, LLC, 2011 Bankr. Lexis 3689 (D.N.J. 2011)
- Thomason Auto Group, LLC v. China America Cooperative Automotive, Inc., 2009 U.S. Dist. Lexis 22669 (D.N.J. 2009)
- In re Stamou, 2009 WL 1025161 (Bankr. D.N.J. 2009)
- In re Moore, 354 B.R. 667 (Bankr. S.D.N.Y. 2006), aff’d, 298 Fed. App. 109 (2d Cir. 2008)
- In re Shiver, 396 B.R. 110 (Bankr. S.D.N.Y.2008)
- In re Raimondo, 2007 WL 2248068 (Bankr. D.N.J. 2007)
- Matter of Halvajian, 216 B.R. 502 (D.N.J. 1998) aff’d. 168 F.3d 178 (3d Cir.1998)
- Matter of Newark Airport / Hotel, Ltd. Partnership, 156 B.R. 444 (Bank. D.N.J.), aff’d. 155 B.R. 93 (D.N.J. 1993)
- In re System Freight, Inc., 1991 U.S. Dist. Lexis 2674 (D.N.J. 1991)
- In re Emilio Cavallini, Ltd., 112 B.R. 73 (Bankr. S.D.N.Y. 1990)
Awards & Recognitions
New Jersey Super Lawyer (2018)
Best Lawyers in America (2010-2017)
New Jersey Super Lawyer (2010-2017)
New York Area’s Top Lawyers (2010)
“AV” Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, Special Presidential Quality Award.
Professional & Community Involvement
Master, Vincent J. Comissa, D. Joseph DeVito and Daniel J. Moore Bankruptcy Inns of Court
Treasurer, New Jersey State Bar Association (Bankruptcy Section)
Member, Bergen County Bar Association (Debtor-Creditor Section)